Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Baby Steps


Do you relate to any of the following thoughts?



"I'd like to work out more, I just don't have time."

"I hate running, it is way too hard!"

"I love food too much to eat better."

"I honestly just don't know where to begin."

These statements are extremely common. We have all thought them at some point and I am sure most of us have said them out loud. These statements all may be true, but are they holding you back?

About 3 years ago, I said the very same statements even though I was running competitively, I simply did not understand what good nutrition was and how to properly fuel for everything I was putting my body through. Instead of eating many greens, proteins, and complex carbohydrates, I was merely "carbo loading" all the time! As a result, I was 15 pounds heavier (and remember I am 5'1'') and sluggish in my running and daily life. I attribute this to my lack of knowledge and as hard as I was working and trying, I was just going backwards.

Although, I look back at those days and wish, "If only I knew then what I know now" I also am thankful now for the knowledge that I have gained. I use this knowledge to pursue a lifestyle of balance and also find that I enjoy my food much more now then I did before.

Focusing on your health means embracing your creativity. You are the artist in designing colorful meals that send your taste buds to the moon and back. You are the designer in creating meals that keep you sustained and alert, meals that carry you throughout the day to be efficient and productive. Embrace your creativity and find the flavors that you love to eat.



Embrace spices to add flavor to your food before resorting to oils and dressings. Experiment, there is no failure. On that note here are some marinade/dressing combos you can add to stir fries and salads that I have created:

-1 tbs Miso Paste (same paste used to make Miso soup in sushi restaurants)
-1 tsp Chili Garlic Paste
-Half Lemon
-2 tsp Soy Sauce (Low Sodium if you can)
-1 tsp Garlic
-1 tsp Sesame Oil

Mix and enjoy

-1 tbs Turmeric
-1 tbs Siracha
-Half Lemon
-Dash of Cumin, Salt, and Pepper
-1 tsp Olive Oil

Mix and enjoy

Be your own culinary artist and share your wonderful recipes please :)



No comments:

Post a Comment