Thursday, July 24, 2014

Life gets in the way...

As I looked back at my last blog post, I realize that it has been over a year since I have posted anything! I guess I can just use the same old excuse, "life gets in the way" to justify such a long absence. Last year was a whirlwind of juggling a teaching job, wedding planning, and a new move. Reflecting back on the year, I ask myself how on earth did I balance it all?

I know that at the age most of us are at, we are in a constant battle with ourselves to be successful professionals and keep our health in mind. Working long days is exhausting and having to muster up the energy to get in that workout can be even more daunting. So how do we do it? Do we just forget the workout part and let ourselves off the hook? I know that for me, this would result in a very grumpy and irrational Danielle.

In all honesty, this was a battle that I needed to fight last year while working so many hours. I played around with the before work workouts and in all truth, they did make the rest of my day feel wonderful. As the winter started to gloom in, and it was no longer light in the mornings, I found that it was VERY difficult to get out of bed and I waited to workout in the afternoons. To my surprise, this was also a great way to end my day and I came to a conclusion that as long as I got my workout in, my day was better, I was happier, and even my students would comment on how my mood was affected by my workouts (sad but true).

I can remember many drives to the gym, thinking that I could take a nap at any second and how much I was dreading starting the workout but in all irony, I would end up feeling 100% better the minute I started. We fight a mental battle with ourselves everyday, a battle to get through all that we need to and better ourselves.

As I am now officially on summer break, I make it a goal of mine to post more recipes and findings that I have had the last year. Your fitness relationship is something that will grow day by day. Let yourself continue to learn from others and make it a passion to be your best self. You can't control the drama you may face at work, the negativity that sometimes life can bring, but you can control you and how you feel. When it comes to your body, energy, and happiness- be selfish. I promise it will pay off :)

No comments:

Post a Comment